Smoothie Bowls-A new craze?
It seems like everywhere you look these days someone seems to be drinking a smoothie. Whether you are on your way to work or just back from the gym smoothies are a quick and easy way to fill you up and nourish you. I’ve always been a fan of smoothies when looking for a quick healthy breakfast on the go. They are easy to make and can be packed full of a variety of nutrient rich foods. When not in a hurry however I would much rather eat my food than drink it as I find it far more satisfying using a spoon than drinking from a straw. I was super excited when I came across some recipes for ‘Smoothie Bowls’ which seem to be popping up everywhere. These are basically as the name implies smoothies in a bowl that are eaten with a spoon. They have a thicker consistency than a typical smoothie similar to sorbet or melted ice cream due to being made with less liquid. They are a delicious breakfast, lunch or a snack option and an easy way to add some nutrients and super foods to your diet. Here is a really simple one I made today. Give it a try you won’t be sorry.
- 1 1/2 cups of mixed berries
- 1/2 banana (Keep other half for the topping)
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter (for protein and healthy fats)
- 1/2 cup water or almond milk
- Handful of Spinach (This will change the colour hence the green in the picture)
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons of homemade Granola
- 3-4 Strawberries
- 1/2 Banana
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
Other additional topping ideas
- Cacao Nibs
- Goji Berries
- Hemp Hearts
- Chia Seeds
- Sliced Almonds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Place smoothie mix ingredients in a blender and blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl, top with whatever toppings you like and enjoy 🙂
- Add less water as needed if you want a thicker consistency
- If using protein powder you may need to add extra water
- Adding nuts and seeds for your toppings will also help to add extra protein and healthy fats.