Healthy hotspot: Evolution Food Co
Continuing on my pursuit of Toronto’s healthy hotspots this week I ventured downtown to check out the recently opened Evolution Food Co that’s located on Market St. It’s in a great location surrounded by a hub of many other restaurants and the wonderful St Lawrence market.
The small space, bright yellow stools and rustic decor inside provided a casual and welcoming setting and the small outdoor patio provides a great people watching spot during the summer months.
According to their website, their dishes are ‘wholesome and crafted from high-quality ingredients, that are simple and naturally delicious’. Menu options include grain bowls, salads and a Greek yoghurt bar and drink options include homemade smoothies, cold-pressed juices and almond milk.
After checking out their bright yellow menu, which features six signature salad bowls I decided to try the ’Moroc’ with tempeh, spinach and avocado. This was packed with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, parsley, tahini and harissa-spiced hummus. My friend opted for the ‘Cabo Cobb’ which was loaded with avocado, corn, spiced black beans, pico de gallo, cilantro, shredded monterey jack and dressed with cilantro ranch and jalapeño vinaigrette. As they offer a lunch special for $16 that also includes a choice of juices we picked the ‘Heavenly Glow’ made with apple, lemon, celery, kale, ginger and mint and the ‘Heart Beets’ with beets, apple,carrot, lemon and ginger. I was impressed with my salad which was filling, fresh and full of flavour and my friend was also very complimentary about hers. The juices were also fresh and full of flavour although I would have preferred they came in glass bottles rather than plastic but I imagine this would greatly increase business costs.
Whilst overall I was impressed with the place I was a bit disappointed with the high price tag. At $12-$14 for a to-go salad it is not a place I would be visiting every day but definitely for an occasional treat and this place rates high on my ‘healthy hotspot’ rating chart.
Location: 12 Market Street
- Staff friendliness & knowledge: 5/5 – Staff were smiling friendly and informative.
- Decor/Ambiance: 4/5 – Bright yellow stools and rustic decor inside provided a casual and welcoming setting
- Accessibility: 5/5 – Close to the downtown hub of Toronto across from the World famous St Lawerence Market
- Nutrition: 5/5 – Good variety of fresh, healthy, nutritious, filling salads and thirst quenching juices
- Price/Value: 2/5- A bit pricey at approx. $12-14 per salad
- Healthy Hotspot: Gasta Good ’n’ Healthy - […] area why not check out these ‘Healthy Hotspots’: Evolution Food Co whose review you can read here or the IQ Food Co…